from the comfort of your home in German, French and English
Everything you need to know about
my Online Counselling services.
My clients are people like you and me, who are reaching their limits and often feel stuck. They would like to work on themselves and understand themselves better before the current problem possibly develops into a serious mental illness.
Many of my clients come to me with a very clearly defined problem, like:
- relationship conflicts
- career decisions
- self-esteem deficits
- stress & burnout
Many of my clients live abroad and choose online counselling to receive uncomplicated and quick professional support in their native language, even outside of regular office hours. Topics include:
- cultural adjustment difficulties & culture shock
- conflicts in intercultural relations
- questions of cross-cultural identity: who am I? How does living abroad influence my identity? Where is my home? Who understands me? Should I stay or go?
Some people would like longer-term support in difficult times and are looking for a neutral person who can help them to find new solutions and give them the space to think out loud, question themselves and get to know themselves better.
My online counselling services are solution-focused and strengths-based. Sessions usually take place via video calls, but I also offer email counselling for those who prefer to write.
After completing my studies in psychology, I trained as a psychotherapist in Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and received further training in other counselling methods, such as Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT). While I don’t offer psychotherapy online, my online counselling work is still based on those approaches, adapting them to working online to fit my clients’ needs.
My clients appreciate my professional training and expertise as well as my very open, curious and authentic approach to counselling.
CBT - Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
CBT is one of the best-studied and effective psychotherapeutic methods and is often considered the gold standard of modern psychotherapy. CBT focuses on cognitions, i.e. thoughts, beliefs, attitudes. Many elements of CBT are also regularly applied in counselling and coaching. In our online counselling work, we will first analyse together which behaviour and thought patterns are influencing your current situation. These are often automatic thoughts or behavioural patterns that recur in certain situations. These reactions may have been useful in the past, but today they may be a hurdle on your path to a fulfilled life.
ACT - Acceptance und Commitment Therapy
ACT is a method used in psychotherapy as well as in coaching and counselling and belongs to the so-called third wave of behavioural therapy. As the name says, ACT focuses on acceptance and mindfulness, but also on committed actions and changes. The aim of ACT (pronounced like the English “act” = to act) is to increase psychological flexibility in order to act according to our values in a constantly changing (inner and outer) world and to help us live a rich and meaningful life.
Solution-focused and individually tailored to your needs
We will work out solutions tailored to your situation and needs. We will use exercises and tools from the methods mentioned above, which are particularly suitable for counselling, to help you live the life you want to live in a meaningful way.
My clients appreciate my professional training and expertise as well as my open, curious and authentic approach to counselling.
Multicultural and multilingual
I work in German, French and English. Many of my international clients contact me because they would like to speak to someone in their native language but who is also familiar with the local culture or language. I grew up bilingual myself and have been travelling the world full-time as a digital nomad since 2014, so I have personal experience with many of the issues my clients face every day. You can read more about my path to online counselling here. Check out my blog to learn more about my life as a digital nomad here.
Online Counselling Limits
Please note that I am based and registered as a therapist in Germany. The online counselling offered here does not constitute psychotherapy in the sense of German psychotherapy regulations. While in some other countries psychotherapy online has been well established for many years, German laws around this are just starting to change. At the moment, psychotherapy can only take place online after an initial face-to-face diagnosis.
Furthermore, online counselling cannot offer adequate support in all cases. Some problems, especially acute psychological crises as well as serious mental disorders, require in-person and long-term contact. In these cases, please contact psychotherapists or emergency services in your area. If you are unsure whether you need counselling or perhaps psychotherapy after all, feel free contact me, and we can explore together what is appropriate for your situation.
Methods of Online Counselling
Online Counselling via Video
By far the most popular form of online counselling!
At a set time, we meet for a conversation via video chat. Usually we use both sound and video, but you can switch off your video if you prefer. Video sessions are the option that is most similar to a face-to-face conversation. On top of sound, they also convey facial expressions and body language.
We always start with a 90-minute intake session. We will use this time to get to know each other, and you have plenty of time to give me a first overview of your situation, issues and goals.
Following sessions usually last 50 minutes, although depending on your situation we might opt for 90 minutes. In the beginning, I usually recommend weekly sessions; later on, we might switch to bi-monthly sessions. We will decide this together to make sure the process fits your needs and situation.
intake session90 minutes
- Price incl. German VAT
- Duration = 90 minutes
- Content: get to know each other, tell me more about your situation, your issues and goals. We start formulating a plan for our future work together.
- One of the most important factors in any therapy or consultation is the therapeutic relationship. That is why I recommend my clients take some time after the initial consultation to think about whether they would like a longer-term consultation and whether the “chemistry” is right. Sometimes it turns out after the initial consultation that another form of counselling or therapy would be more suitable. Sometimes, when clients contact me with some smaller concerns or questions, this initial consultation is sufficient to initiate the decisive changes.
follow-up sessions50 minutes
- Price incl. German VAT
- Duration = 50 minutes
- Not for new clients
- In most cases, weekly or fortnightly sessions are recommended, especially at the beginning of the consultation. We will determine the exact schedule together, depending on your specific situation and needs. If needed, we will opt for 90-minute sessions instead.
- As with any form of counselling or therapy, the sessions are only one part of the process. You will receive exercises, “homework” or ideas which you can then implement and try out in your everyday life. Please plan sufficient time for this as well.
There are two options:
- Email Short Counselling
- Email Flat-Rate
Do you have a very specific question?
Then opt for the short email consultation: 2-3 emails to convey your situation, some questions from me to clarify and a final recommendation for further action (exercises, therapeutic approaches, alternative consultation or therapy methods, etc.)
Would you like a consultation by email with a longer-term and more in-depth exchange? Then opt for the monthly flat rate.
You purchase a monthly flat rate (valid 30 days) and can write to me as much and as often as you like. I will answer within forty-eight hours (Monday-Friday). If this is not possible, I will extend your flat-rate accordingly.
Email Short Counselling2-3 Emails
- Price incl. German VAT
- Content: 2-3 emails to convey your situation, some questions from me to clarify and a final recommendation for further action (exercises, therapeutic approaches, alternative consultation or therapy methods, etc.)
Email Flat-Rate4 weeks
- Price incl. German VAT
- Duration = 4 weeks
- Content: You can write to me as often as you like. I will do my best to answer every email within 2 working days (Mon-Fri). If in exceptional cases, I am not able to do so, I will inform you in time and extend your flat-rate accordingly.
I receive emails every week from colleagues who are interested in opening their own psychological practice online, working as therapists online or would like to know how I did it, if it can actually work, and what you have to consider to be successful as an online...
Today, I would like to introduce you to an exercise that I use in my work as an online psychologist that encourages us to look at our lives and examine the different “life areas” that are important to us. The exercise comes from Acceptance and Commitment Therapy...
Who remembers hitting the 6-month pandemic wall? And how does it compare to how you’re feeling now that we’ve passed the one year mark? I came across this Twitter thread several months ago when we were around that crucial 6-month mark:...